Skip to content
Questions To Ask The Employer
- What is the financial stability of this company?
- What future changes do you see for this company?
- What direction do you see your company going in the future?
- Who are your competitors?
- How successful have you been with marketing your company’s products?
- What plans does the company have for becoming more competitive in this industry?
- What is the biggest negative about your company?
- What makes your company different from others?
- Why did you accept work with this company?
- How long have you been employed with this company?
- Why do you continue to work for XYZ organization?
- What do you like most (or least) about your company?
- Would you want your son/daughter to work for this company, too?
- What makes your association with this employer enjoyable?
- What are you really hiring me to accomplish?
- Graduating students are really wanting to get past the recruiting jargon to learn what is truly expected of them. Why should I take this job for (or . . . work for your company)?
- If I were hired by your organization for this position, what duties would I be performing?
- What will be expected of me in this position?
- How does my job fit with the mission of the organization, company performance, or profitability?
- How do you know when to hire additional staff?
- How much responsibility will I have?
- Why is this job important to you?
- What will I be contributing to the organization?
- What do you wish you knew about the company before you started?
- What would you change about this position, if you could?
- What is your corporate culture?
- How would top management describe the corporate culture, and how does this compare with things in the organization as they really are at the lower levels?
- What were your personal experiences on this job?
- Will I be on a team, or in a group?
- How much freedom am I given to solve problems with my own methods?
- What help is available to me when my methods fail? Is this a new position?
- Why did the other person leave?
- What is your company really like?
Affirmative Action / Equal Employment Opportunities
- What is the standard of living among minorities in your local community?
- What minority programs do you have?
Quality of Work
- What differentiates your company from your competition?
- Do you get repeat business from your customers?
- What are the ethical and environmental philosophies of your company?
- What has been the history of turnover among recent hires in the company?
- What is this company’s philosophy towards their employees?
- What is the relationship of this organization to the local community?
- What can I do with my education and training for your company?
- What values are sacred to this company?
- What would cause me to leave the company?
- How mobile can I be?
Products & Services
- Has the company thought of going in the direction of xxx?
- What impact will the clean air legislation (or other current topic) have on the company?
- What impact did your recent service (or logo, product, market blitz, etc.) change have on your business?
- What do you see as the biggest areas of needed improvement within the company?
- What significant changes has the company experienced in the past year?
- What are short- and long-term strategic directions of the company?
- What have been the successes (or failures) of the company?
- What is the company doing to change for success in this changing global economy?
- What are the company’s goals for the future?
- What is the greatest challenge, from your perspective, that the organization faces during the next year?
Measures of Work Performance
- How would you describe the most successful employees in your company?
- Can I expect opportunities for advancement with the company, if I work hard to prove myself?
- If I do well, what will I be doing in five years?
- How will I be evaluated in my job?
- How often will I be evaluated?
- Who supervises this positions?
- What is the chain of command for this position?
- Where would my career progress from my first assignment?
- How does your company encourage their new hires to keep pace with advancing technologies?
- What characteristics do you possess that have made you so successful?
- What can I do within my first five years to help ensure my success within the company?
- What was your career path within the company?
- What feedback has been given to your company by recent new hires?
Salary & Benefits
- What is the pay for this position?
- What are advanced educational opportunities with XYZ organization (MS, MBA, etc.)?
- May I someday invest in the company?
- What training would I receive if hired?
- How did I do?
- How soon will I hear from you?
- What does your company want from successful candidates for this job?
- What would distinguish one candidate over another for this job?
- How do I prove myself and my commitment to the company?
- When would you want me to start in this position?